Sunday, January 29, 2012

Slippers, Sweets, and a bit of the Strange

 I used to get really offended when Japanese people commented on the way Americans never take off their shoes when they get home because I always had to when I was growing up (then again, that was after we got new carpet). When such a conversation occurred, I was always sure to defend myself and say that each family is different, but that my family...well, you get the idea. In any event, what I couldn't say is that we have to take off our shoes anywhere else. In Japan, you take off your shoes and change into inside shoes/slippers as soon as you enter someone's home, but also when you enter a school, a gym, or sometimes even a restaurant. That, to my knowledge, is not at all an American custom.

We've gotten pretty used to wearing slippers indoors everywhere, to the point that my slippers had gotten worn out to an embarrassing degree. I finally got around to buying new ones the other day--one pair for home, and one for school.

What do you think? I got them at one of my favorite stores, Loft

When I was searching for slippers, I couldn't help but notice some more Valentine sweets that I have to share with you! Rather than being kind of strange like the other ones I posted, these ones are just cool! 

 Isn't this turtle pretty? 

Cute little piggies! 

 
 This detailed crocodile is too cool! 

 Darling Rilakkuma chocolates!

I would just like to drop a subtle hint to Chad about the chocolate turtle and Rilakkuma. As in they would be good for Valentine's Day. For me. 

And before I go, since I did mention those unusual Valentine's gifts earlier, I'd like to point out these pet snacks. Is it strange to anyone else how similar these look to the fish bought for Valentine's Day that I showed you in my last post?

                       

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails