Monday, January 30, 2012

What the Heck is that Noise?

Last night we were watching a movie when suddenly we heard a loud whistling tone. It kept getting louder and louder, leading us to run around to different windows to figure out where -- and what! -- the noise was coming from. I began to get a bit more frantic in my search, wondering if a factory was going to blow up or if it was some kind of earth quake warning I hadn't heard about.


In the end, it turned out to be nothing of the sort. It was a yakiimo truck selling roasted sweet potatoes! I ran down and took the video above (which is very poor quality, but can give you an idea of the sound we'd been hearing), and then bought a sweet potato for Chad and I--a whopping 500 yen!


The price was worth the experience I guess--it was cool to be able to take a picture of the guy's truck and get a sweet potato randomly at 10:00 at night. The guy even whistled to his dog to come to the front window! Then again, Chad pointed out that by buying a sweet potato from loud truck-on-the-move, I had also encouraged the guy to repeat his sales on other nights. 

 This is the back of the truck where the roasting is done--and where all the noise comes from!

Our great, big sweet potato



 Delicious as the sweet potato turned out to be, I sure hope Chad isn't right about that noisy business coming up our little mountain again!

2 comments:

Kazetori said...

haha, oh geez, I hope I never wake up to one of those. xD How is your teaching coming along? I'm in Japan now too! Only here until March though, but I'm learning a lot!

Caitlyn and Chad said...

Teaching is great! We are working at an international school--I teach preschool, and Chad teaches kindergarten. Bummer you're only here until March! Seems like you're getting a lot of culture squeezed into the short time you're here, though. Let us know if you come out to Kobe!

Related Posts with Thumbnails