Friday, November 18, 2011

Day by Day

I've been a bad girl. At least, when it comes to updating my blog as planned. Truth be told, I tried to update it, but our computer freezes so often and loads so slowly that it takes a lot more patience to make a simple post than I possess. We've been talking about getting a new computer as a Christmas present to each other. Or as a We-Can't-Take-It-Anymore present. In any event, I'm having luck with the computer this morning, so here I am!

Speaking of Christmas in the previous paragraph, Japan is ready. Little bits of Christmas spirit and decorations can be found everywhere, and I love that I can feel the magic and joy of the season, even a world away from Michigan.

Walking along the other day, I saw this Coca-Cola truck. I was surprised to see that the truck was not only decked out in holiday design and lighting, but that even the driver was wearing a Santa costume! Can you imagine being a truck driver and being told you have to wear a costume during your deliveries? I mean, would that actually fly in America?



Japan is just as talented as America when it comes to Christmas marketing, if not more. Each year, Japanese families and friends order detailed Christmas cakes far in advance to eat on Christmas day, generally spending at least 3000 yen on one cake. The cakes come in all styles, even with characters like Pokemon on them if the consumer so desires.

There are loads of other holiday treats and goods, such as the plastic snack-filled character Christmas boots, Pokemon goody bags, Meiji Chocolate Ginger Bread Houses, and Christmas-themed snack bags above. And like America, there are many sales. Though Japan doesn't have Black Friday, it does have a special sale for New Years in which people drop around $100 on grab bags full of "good" deals on clothes or other items. Not a sale we'll be taking part in, though we will be doing some Christmas shopping for our upcoming trip home soon!

November Challenge Update:
1. Been drinking ridiculous amounts of water...because I'm still sick.
2. Went for a walk 2 out of the 4 days that I couldn't post here. Work has been busy, so I haven't had much of a chance, but I know I need to keep trying to make it a priority!
3. Went to the gym Thursday, and had a great time at zumba! Usually the Thursday night class is beyond challenging, but last week I could keep up! It felt really good.
4. No buying or eating sweets while alone (though I've definitely been getting my fix!)
5. Been thankful everyday for so much! Some examples are:

* Touches of Christmas all around, like lights and music and decorations
* Every morning, when my train passes a woman on a bicycle with her baby in a riding basket. They are always waiting near the tracks for the train to pass by, and the woman takes her baby's arm to make him wave at the train. It always makes me smile!
*Good books! Right now I'm listening to "The Night Circus" on audio, and it's wonderful! Addicting to the point that it's actually difficult to force myself to turn it off when I get to work in the morning!
*Costco! Access to oatmeal and peanut butter is not something I take lightly (and neither does my weight haha).
*Havarti! I am lucky enough to have some in my fridge at this very moment!
*Days off. I love my job--so much so that Chad often tells me to stop talking about it. But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate days off! Relaxing and working on art, journaling, blogging, going to the gym or spending time with Chad. Definitely all things that I appreciate!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails