Friday, November 11, 2011

Lucky (Pocky) Day

It's 11/11/11! Which means we're supposed to be having a lucky day! Whether that's true for you or not, what is definitely true today is that it's Pocky Day--an annual celebration in Japan started because 11/11 looks like four of the snack sticks put together. It hasn't really gained too much popularity, but I never need an excuse to eat a few!

Japan has many Pocky and Pretz flavors. Above you can see the salad flavor in the green box, the roast flavor in the two red boxes, the super butter flavor in the yellow box, and the tomato flavor in the bag. I sometimes eat the salad or tomato ones and pretend they're healthy.

And then there are the Pocky sticks that I sometimes eat without pretending anything. Except perhaps maybe that I'm not too addicted to sugar? Wait...have I ever been able to pretend that? Let's face it, I like sugar, and I like Pocky.

Top: White Chocolate and Chocolate Twist Pocky; Chocolate Pocky
Middle: Two types of Chocolate Pocky; Salty Chocolate Pocky
Bottom: Hello Kitty Strawberry Pocky, Thomas the Tank Engine Chocolate Pocky, more strawberry Pocky and Panda Cookies and Cream Pocky

You can probably notice that there is about a hundred yen difference to get the sweet ones. It doesn't. stop. anyone. This includes Chad, who bought some for us to eat with a glass of wine (because we're classy).

November Challenge Update:
1. Water=2 liters
2. No walk because I was battling against computers in preparation for Saturday school.
3. Went to the gym (that's 3 times this week!) and cycled for a while. Not too hard core, but I'm still sick so I'll take it.
4. No buying or eating sweets while alone (I've been eating pocky with Chad, I promise!)
5. And I'm thankful for the following:

1. Strangers who smile at me warmly.
2. My coworkers who encouraged me today when I worried about the staff performance I'm teaching, or when I was frustrated with computer/Saturday school issues.
3. My kids at school who I love and who bring me so much joy every day.
4. Meeting random people who do kind things. Like a guy on the train today who claimed to have lived in Dearborn Michigan for several years while playing for the Red Wings. After briefly talking about Michigan, my weakening Japanese skills and what we're both doing here, he gave me a beer from a case he and his Japanese coworker had brought back after making a deal in Germany earlier this week. As I got off at my stop, he proceeded to shake my hand and then give me a hug (to which I responded out loud in surprise with, "Oh! Okay...?"). His coworker only shook my hand, which was much less awkward for me. Chad and I have yet to try the beer, but that--in combination with his warm wishes for me to have a nice weekend-- was really nice!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails