Monday, November 7, 2011

November Challenge

As is the case for many Americans, when November rolls around, so do thoughts of thankfulness. (Wait! I just said rolls! Rolls and turkey and pies and mashed potatoes and, and, and!)

...Anyway...

So I've been thinking about thankfulness (and food), and I've also been thinking how much I need to make little changes in the every day so that a big change can take place in my life. It's cliche, I know, but I need to be more mindful of my blessings each and every day. Also, I need to be more mindful of what I'm putting into my body and how I'm treating it and myself. I realize that I don't need to (nor do I want to!) go into my personal history of body/mind issues here for you to get the general idea, but I do want to make it clear that I often get these grand ideas of how I'm going to be a better person, and I inevitably never meet the standards I've set for myself. I'm aware that failure brings growth and learning, and I'm aware that --to quote Michael Jordan-- "You have to expect great things of yourself before you can achieve them." In this case, I'd like to expect just a few little things of myself, in hopes that they can spark bigger things! I'm getting rid of unmeetable standards and expecting to achieve just a little something. So here are a few of the little somethings I'm going to challenge myself with, from this day in November, until the end of the month (and who knows? Maybe even longer! But let's not get too ambitious here...):

1. Go for at least a 35 minute walk every day Monday through Friday.
2. Use my stupidly expensive gym membership 3-5 times a week, even if that only means walking fast for 20 minutes and then stretching.
3. Drink at least two 1 liter bottles of water during a workday, and then more later.
4. Don't ever, ever buy or eat sweets when I'm alone.
5. Write down one thing every day that I'm thankful for, and post it here with other challenge updates Monday through Friday.

I used to be amazing at going to the gym, but I need to get back into it regularly after having bronchitis, and I need to get back into working out better (without pushing myself too hard and then wanting to give up). I don't want to buy sweets or eat them when I'm alone because although I often do buy them when I'm hungry, I also have a lot of other hidden attachments (like I am sad or I had a long day or I ate really healthy and a little treat should be okay, etc.). This doesn't mean I can't have sweets, because let's face it--that's ridiculous. But it means I can't eat them when I'm alone, I can't buy them when I'm alone, and I'm going to be more accountable to myself. I want to be healthy, and to enjoy it. I want to stop gaining and losing 4-10 pounds every week and a half to two weeks. I want to set a healthier lifestyle for myself now so that it will be easier to set a good example when I have kids later. And I want to pay attention to things I'm thankful for because mindfulness goes hand in hand with being healthy, and because challenging myself to record such things here will force me to take the time to blog, which I love but never do because I make up reasons I'm too busy.

So, here you are (aren't you?) supporting me in this so that I stick to it. After a long post, here's a brief recap of today, which isn't too bad considering I just concocted this challenge about an hour ago:

I didn't go for a walk, but I did go to the gym. I drank 1 liter of water at work, and another one at home (almost got that one!). I bought and ate sweets while alone... *coughs with embarrassment* I'm thankful for these cute baby portraits hanging at a shopping center in Japan--especially the last one, which I feel really captures that randomness of this country. These made me smile and kind of laugh.


Be back with more tomorrow!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails